Canadian Immigration

One of the crucial steps in the process of immigrating to Canada is the submission of documents. While applying for immigration or permanent residence in Canada, it is important to meet certain guidelines related to documents.

To support your application, you may be asked to submit certified translations of your documents in two languages – English or French. Translation of immigration documents appears to be a difficult task. If the documents are in a language other than these two official languages, IRCC will reject your application or going to ask you to get them translated.

What are the essential requirements for supporting documents?

If the submissions are not in one of Canada’s official languages, then you have to meet the requirements of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Otherwise, your application may get rejected.
At the point when you submit documents in a language other than English or French, you require;

  • A certified translation of the original document
  • The original document in a foreign language or a certified copy of the original document. Also, the translator must stamp both the certified copy and the translation.

How to do Canadian Immigration Certified Translation?

There are two requirements when submitting a certified translation for Canadian Immigration:

A Proper Translation

A proper translation must consist of one of the following alternatives:

  • A translation of the document must be into English or French if the translator is certified in Canada.
  • If the translator is not certified in Canada – a translation will be into English or French with an affidavit.

What is an Affidavit for Translation?

An affidavit is a record on which the translator has sworn, within the presence of an individual approved to administer oaths in the country where he is residing. The translated document is a true translation of the contents of the original document. Moreover, all the stamps and seals that are not in English or French will also be translated.

A Certified Copy of The Original Document

If you have not submitted the translated documents, you will be asked to submit a genuine copy of the original first. This can be obtained by taking your unique document to a lawyer or Notary who is supported to ensure copies in the country where they practice.

The lawyer or Notary needs to make a copy of the original document and write, “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document.”

Checking If a Translator is Certified

A certified translator is a member on favorable terms whose certificate can be approved by a seal or stamp that shows the translator’s registered number in Canada or abroad. The translation must incorporate seals and marks from a certified translator. In addition, the interpretation will also need to bear the name and signature of the certified translator.

You must know that immigration translations must not be done by yourself, a member of your family, your immigration consultant, or a member of your family who is a lawyer, notary, or translator.

What happens if I don’t submit translations for my documents?

When IRCC gets an application without any translation, they may ask you to submit them at that time. You will also need to resubmit your application with the original documents and the certified translations.