Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

In Canada, family is one of the main cornerstones. As a result, Canada’s citizens and permanent residents can apply for one of several family sponsorship schemes to reunite with their loved ones. In reality, under family sponsorship category, Canada aims to accept about 80,000 applicants from the family-class each year. This group of programs includes the Inland Spousal and Common-Law Partner Sponsorship program. This program is for Canadian citizens who are lawfully married or living as common-law partners.

Difference Between a Spouse and a Common-Law Partner

Under Canadian law, a person is considered to be a spouse if they are legally wed, their marriage is recognized by the law of the jurisdiction in which it was registered. Whereas when the partners have lived together as a couple for minimum 12 months, it is said to be a common-law relationship.

Program’s Eligibility Requirements

The following considerations must be made by anyone seeking to apply for permanent residence in Canada through inland sponsorship.

  • Both the foreign national and the sponsor must be 18 or older.
  • In the five years before to submitting their inland sponsorship application, neither the foreign national nor the sponsor may have been sponsored.
  • Neither the foreign national nor the sponsor may be incarcerated, insolvent, or under active criminal investigation.
  • Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada must deem the Canadian sponsor and the foreign spouse to be suitable candidates for inland spousal sponsorship (IRCC).

Key Requirements For a Sponsor

A person must meet a number of the following conditions in order to qualify as a sponsor:

  • The sponsor not be getting social assistance for any other reason than disability or job insurance;
  • Must demonstrate that they have enough money or resources to support their spouse or partner;
  • Must not be enrolled in bankruptcy proceedings or receiving income support from any province.

A sponsor must for a period of three years must:

  • Show that they can take care of basic requirements, as well as those of your partner or spouse and, if applicable, any dependent children;
  • The requirements include housing costs, including electricity bills, food and personal care goods, clothing and other necessities for everyday living, and medical costs not covered by public health insurance;
  • Must demonstrate that they could support their spouse or partner financially;
  • The sponsor not be getting any social assistance from the government

Inland Spousal and Common-Law Partner Sponsorship application steps

Here’re the six key steps involved in the inland sponsorship applications process:

Step 1: To be qualified to act in the capacity of a sponsor, the relationship’s Canadian citizen or permanent resident must submit an application;

Step 2: Download the application materials from the government website.

Step 3: Pay all application fees electronically.

Step 4: Fill out and sign the necessary paperwork.

Step 5: Your application should be sent to the proper visa office.

Note: You could be required to provide more supporting papers while the application is being reviewed.