The Canadian immigration system underwent a dramatic improvement in the past decade. There was a marked increase in the number of permanent residents, foreign workers, and international students in Canada. The radical transformation of Canada’s economic class program contributed to the changes in family and refugee class programs. Experts predict that the coming decade will also see some major developments considering that the country is in need of more immigrant labor.
The country has made its intention of welcoming over 3 million permanent residents in the coming decade clear. One of the primary reasons why the country needs this boost in immigration levels is the aging population. The low birth rate is also an important factor to consider. Welcoming more immigrants will fill in the labor gap so that Canada can flourish.
The population in Canada increase by around 1% every year. Natural increase makes up for just 20% of annual population growth. Immigration accounts for the remaining 80%, and that alone speaks volumes about Canada’s affinity for newcomers. The natural increase might even fall to almost zero in the next decade, which would mean that immigration would make up the entire 100% of the country’s population growth. Without healthy population growth, it becomes impossible to stimulate economic activity and maintain the country’s high quality of life.
If Canada wishes that the population continues to increase by 1% annually, it might need to increase the newcomer target from 350,000 in 2021 to around 400,000 per year by the end of the decade. If the current state is anything to go by, Canada might welcome over 3.5 million permanent residents in the next decade. This would mark a 25% increase and allow the country to move forward without any obstacles. Canada’s federal government allows employers, provinces, and post-secondary institutions to play a major role in immigrant selection.