How to Stay in Canada Once Your PGWP Expires?

Canada PGWP

Published on November 5, 2021

If you are scared about not being able to stay in Canada because after your Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) expires, you do not have to worry because there are plenty of ways to secure a work permit or become a permanent resident. There are multiple immigration pathways available, and you can choose the perfect one based on your objectives and personal circumstances.

Immigration options

You can consider the following immigration routes:

  • Certain immigration programs will let you apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP), so you can continue working in Canada while waiting to become a permanent resident.
  • You can apply to the three federal immigration programs managed by the Express Entry system, namely the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), and the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).
  • Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) will allow you to secure a provincial nomination from Canadian provinces and territories which will add 600 extra points to your total.
  • If Quebec is your immigration destination of choice, you have to secure a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) because the province follows its own immigration system.
  • The Atlantic Immigration Pilot will interest you if you are working in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, or New Brunswick.

Can you extend the PGWP?

You cannot extend your PGWP beyond the allotted period. The permit is generally applicable as long as you are enrolled in your study program. The maximum duration for which PGWP can be valid is three years. Since PGWP is an open work permit, it lets you work for any employer in Canada irrespective of the location. If your long-term plan is to immigrate to Canada successfully, you might want to gain professional experience in a “skilled” occupation.


City Guides

Explore Canada

Copyright @Betterplace Immigration | Privacy Policy