Working in Canada

There exist a variety of work permit options in Canada. One of them includes is closed work permits. These permits mandate that foreign professionals only work for a single employer, are one type of work visa available in Canada. In this instance, the employer had to get a favourable Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before making a job offer to the foreign worker.

A closed work permit, often called an employer-specific work permit, enables you to work in Canada as long as you abide by the work permit’s terms, which may include:

  • The name of the particular company you can work for;
  • Duration of your workday;
  • Where do you work

What Next After Losing Your Job With an Active Work Visa?

After losing your job, you won’t be able to work for your previous employer or for a different company, while having a closed work permits. Nonetheless, you can legitimately stay in Canada without a job for as long as the permission is in effect. You must modify the terms of your work permit if you want to keep working.

Another option is to apply for an open work permit. An open work permit is not specific to a particular business or line of activity. To put it another way, open work licences offer freedom of movement between jobs, employers, professions, or areas within Canada.

Moreover, several conditions related to acquiring a closed work permit in Canada are not applicable to holders of open work permits. To qualify for an open work visa, you do not need to have a job offer or a favourable LMIA.

What to Do If I Got Abused or Exploited at My Job. What are My Options?

An open work permit for vulnerable workers may be available if you are experiencing abuse at work in Canada or are in danger of experiencing it. The open work permit for vulnerable workers is made to assist you leave an abusive or exploitative workplace and find new employment, protecting your rights as a worker in Canada. Once you have this kind of a work permit, you have a certain amount of time to look for a new job and apply for a new work permit.